The rigorous Gold Standard certification process ensures genuine quality, and like all high end products, Gold Standard carbon offsets carry a price premium. We are proud that our credits command this premium over other standards since it reflects the credibility, honesty, integrity and robustness of the standard and our brand. Moreover, it clearly demonstrates that The Gold Standard approach delivers not only better quality projects but also more commercially viable investments. Only by meeting these two criteria can carbon markets be financially sustainable in the long term.
For the end buyer, reduced reputational risk due to offsetting with Gold Standard credits brings peace of mind – an offset programme is only as strong as its weakest tonne. With sustainable development and environmental co-benefits being maximized, and ensured via The Gold Standard’s Monitoring, Reporting and Verification, companies that invest in quality Gold Standard carbon credits invest in their own brand, demonstrating to clients, staff and suppliers sincerity towards environmental and corporate social responsibility.
Why develop Gold Standard Projects?
- The Gold Standard is the benchmark global carbon standard
- Gold Standard certified carbon credits sell at a price premium due to their high quality, robustness and sustainable development benefits
- The Gold Standard has nearly a decade of expertise and great market recognition
- There is high end-buyer demand
- Projects are more likely to be eligible for future compliance schemes
Why buy Gold Standard?
- Reduced reputational risk
- Confidence and peace of mind in credit robustness
- The only standard to monitor, report and verify sustainable development criteria in all projects throughout the crediting lifetime of the project
- Widely viewed as the quality carbon credit in the marketplace
- Chosen to demonstrate broader CSR commitment
- Measurable co-benefits can enable a strong organizational fit
- Endorsed and supported by more than 85 NGOs worldwide
- Credits more likely to be eligible in future compliance regimes
Why support The Gold Standard?
- Detailed, robust engagement and monitoring procedures
- All projects must host and document a two-step interactive ‘Local Stakeholder Consultation’ in both the design phase & feedback rounds
- Sustainable Development Matrix including social, economic and environmental benefits for local communities
- “Do no harm” assessment – UNDP safeguarding principles derived from international conventions for environmental, social, economic impact
- Measurement, Reporting and Verification of sustainable development indicators and other environmental co-benefits
- Active engagement of independent technical experts & NGOs
- UN accredited auditors, supplemented by GS in-house experts
- Constant innovation in all areas e.g. appeals process and suppressed demand